INTRODUCTION TO VURC
Welcome to VURC 2016! We have a very exciting season ahead. We will be competing in one major regatta this year: the NZ University Rowing Championships. This is being held in Twizel, in the South Island, on the 23rd and 24th of April. We may also have another two regattas later in the year. If you haven’t already, please register for our mailing list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – all important information will be emailed to you throughout the season.
Important: if you want to row for VURC you must register on the Wellington Rowing Club website by WEDNESDAY 16TH MARCH. Go to www.wellingtonrowing.org.nz, click ‘Register Now’ and then fill in the details. No registration, no competing. For more information on how to register with WRC, please see the attached WRC Registration document.
|President||Vice President||Club Captain||Treasurer||Secretary||Social Chair|
|Sean Durkin||Frances Gray||Brook Walker||James Warren||Olivia Oldham||Caleb Smith|
|021 116 6858||027 692 9990||021 026 59569||027 678 2200||021 067 1294||027 485 2546|
Other Committee Members:
Maddie Palmer, Heather Scott, Jack Gilpin, Sarah Jackson, Henry Lee
|Crew:||Novice Women||Novice Men||Experienced Women||Experienced Men|
|Coach:||Heather Scott (027 687 7055)
Henry Lee (027 841 8706)
|Kyle Malone (021 029 88107)
Frances Gray (027 692 9990)
|Joe O’Neill (021 488 370)
Ceri Armit (022 645 7757)
Sam Beveridge (021 245 5912)
|Jesse Lucas (022 309 5634)
Paul Rainier (027 388 5615)
Rees Ward (022 569 3314)
*Note: We are splitting the squads differently this year to previous years. As you will see, we are combining trainings for Tourney, Inty and Champ grades for coaching purposes. You will still be rowing with those at the same level as you, you will just be coached in the same time-slots.
VURC CALENDAR OF EVENTS 2016:
|Inty Men & Women training this week||Homies & Welcome back drinks|
|Uni Starts||Homies||Club Day Novices – BBQ & Rowing: 11am|
|Homies||VURC Fundraising Today|
|Last Day of Lectures||Whanganui Camp – Arrive in the evening||Whanganui Camp||Whanganui Camp
|Whanganui Camp – Leave in afternoon|
|Homies||VURC Erg a Thon|
|Homies||Levin Day Trip (all VURC crews)||Levin Day Trip back up day|
|Singlet Night||Homies||Travel to NZ Uni Champs: Early morning ferry, then vans/bus||NZ Uni Champs – Racing Saturday Afternoon||NZ Uni Champs – Racing All Day|
|NZ Uni Champs Spare Day and Trials
Return Tonight (mid-trimester break starts)
|Mid-trimester break||Mid-trimester break||Mid-trimester break||Mid-trimester break|
THINGS YOU NEED FOR THE SEASON:
- Drink bottle.
- A hat/cap.
- Strapping tape.
- Sun block.
- Long socks – rugby/soccer socks (your calf muscles will get nasty bruises from the boat otherwise).
- Thermals/polyprops – it can be cold out on the harbour when training.
- Bike shorts/lycra pants – don’t wear baggy clothing as it will get caught on the boat/oar.
- Running shoes – when we can’t get on the water we will do some ergs and runs.
CLUBS DAY – SUNDAY 6TH MARCH:
- WHEN? Sunday 6th March
- WHERE? Wellington Rowing Club, Taranaki Street Wharf, over the road from the Michael Fowler Centre
- WHAT? A chance to meet or reunite with fellow VURC members, have a sausage (or three) and have a good yarn about the upcoming season.
CRATE DAY – SATURDAY 12TH MARCH:
- WHEN? Saturday 12th March
- WHERE? We are still looking for a venue, so if you have a flat with a yard please get in touch at email@example.com
- WHAT? This is the first real social event of the season and it is a good time to meet your fellow club members.
- HOW? Bring a crate, or suitable alternative. Be prepared for shenanigans and an introduction to the waa.
EASTER TRAINING CAMP:
- WHERE? Whanganui
- WHEN? Thursday 24th-Sunday 27th March
- WHAT? We car pool to Whanganui on Thursday afternoon. Row all day Friday and Saturday, Toga Party Saturday night, row Sunday morning and travel back to Wellington Sunday afternoon.
- HOW? We stay on air mattresses at the Union Rowing Club. If you don’t already have an air mattress look into investing one from somewhere such as The Warehouse.
- You provide your own food
- Showers/toilets available for use at Union.
- WHEN? Tuesday 19th April
- WHERE? Our sponsor bar – Five Stags
- WHAT? Crews will be presented with their VURC singlets!
UNI ROWING CHAMPS:
- WHEN? Friday 22nd April – Monday 25th April
- WHERE? Twizel
- HOW? Ferry to Picton at 2am Friday, then drive all day to Twizel. Racing Saturday and Sunday. Drive back to Picton on Monday, ferry back to Wellington at 6pm.
- WHAT? Two days of racing against other University crews, and a big party on Sunday night.
- All accommodation will be booked by the club.
- You provide your own food.
- There will be a number of other events throughout the year, including the following:
- Interfaculty Regatta
- Wizard Sticks night
- Tertiary Regatta
- Battle of the Bombays
- Dates for these events have not yet been confirmed
- The projected costs and payment schedule for the 2016 season is as follows (please note that costs are subject to change). Also please note that we have reduced this amount as much as possible with grants, thanks to the hard work of our committee.
- TOTAL: $300
- This goes towards travel, accommodation, race entry fee, etc.
- A further $95 will need to be paid directly to Wellington Rowing Club. Wellington Rowing Club will invoice you directly for this.
- Payment of $150 is due by March 16th, and a further $150 by April 6th to James – Treasurer.
- Payment is required if you wish to compete: no payment, no competing
- If you need to make alternative arrangements please email James at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options. Payments can be made by cash, cheque or online banking.
- For online banking payments, the account number is 06-0606-0206097-00. Put your surname and initials as the reference
- Fees do not include:
- $95 Wellington Rowing Club affiliation fee
- VURC kit: please see attached uniform costing document for details
- Transport costs for training camp (petrol etc.)
- Food etc. at training camp or Uni Champs
- SINGLETS: All rowers and coxswains new to the club will be issued with a VURC singlet free-of charge
- If you are have rowed for VURC before, and want a new singlet, you will need to purchase one from the club.
- WINDBREAKERS: All coxswains will be supplied with VURC windbreakers which must be worn while racing
- OTHER KIT: a variety of other VURC uniform pieces is also available. For more information, please see the final page of this information sheet.
REGATTA UNIFORM GUIDELINES:
VURC is excited to announce the introduction of both its new crest and its new clothing in time for the start of the 2016 season. The committee has worked hard on ensuring excellent products at a good price. Along with this there are a few small guidelines as to what to wear at regattas that we would like you to follow. We are all very proud of VURC and want to see it represented in the best way possible.
- AROUND THE BOAT PARK: All VURC members must purchase either the hoodie OR the long-sleeved tee for the season to wear around the boat park
- Wearing the rest of the new gear is ideal, however it is not mandatory. If you can’t afford it, or simply don’t like it, that is not a problem. However, please pick a tidy alternative. Keep to club colours where possible, or neutral colours such as black, white or grey – we don’t want you being confused with another squad!
- RACING KIT: VURC racing kit includes your singlet and black bottoms, or your one-piece, a white poly-prop underneath in cold weather, and a black beanie (this does not necessarily need to be the VURC beanie). These items make up the traditional VURC racing kit and as such are non-negotiable.
- VURC rowsuits are presented to crew members of a Championship 8+ if we field an 8+ for the season (mens 8+ or womens 8+). Champ rowsuits may also be given in exceptional circumstances to people who do not row Championship 8+, but who row in other Championship events. These circumstances include rowing at RPC level or having rowed for New Zealand. Exceptional circumstances must be unanimously agreed to by the President, Vice President and Club Captain.
- If you have any queries or concerns about this please don’t hesitate to talk to any of the committee members!
|Beanie||One size fits all||$22|
|Hoodie||XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL||$63|
|Long sleeve Tee||S, M, L, XL, XXL||$33|
|Drill Shorts||26, 28, …, 42, 44||$38|
Orders must be in to Brook Walker (Club Captain) by Wednesday 16 March. All enquiries email email@example.com
Note: It is compulsory to purchase either a hoodie or long sleeve tee for the season
TO REGISTER WITH WELLINGTON ROWING CLUB:
- Go to http://wellingtonrowing.org.nz/
- Click Join, and then Register
- Fill out form; under membership type select University
- Click submit and you’re done!
*If you have any issues registering on the WRC website, contact our WRC representative Maddie Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org